The PR people from Skin MD sent me a 4oz bottle of Skin MD Natural Face, Hand & Body Shielding Lotion to review. Because my husband also suffers from dry hands I enlisted them to test this product with me. We are getting pretty close to the end so it seemed like the right time to post a review.
A little background from the accompanying brochure:
* ..leading doctors now recommending shielding lotion.
* Shielding lotion actually stays with the skin, bonds with the outer layer of skin and in a sense it works in a much different way than most of the other lotions do, which we tend to put on, and they come off and they don’t necessary do their job.
* Non-comedogenic — it won’t promote acne
* Skin MD shielding lotion not only reduced the amount of trans-epidermal water loss, but over time increased the skin’s ability to moisturize itself.
* Skin MD Natural has humectants that are based on cutting edge chemistry that actually hydrate the skin six times more than glycerin…
Personally, I don’t believe in using the same lotion on my body and face. The skin on the face is different and should be treated as such. And since I’ve reviewed a number of face creams this past year I gave my face a break and went with my hands which tend to be the most abused and driest part of my body.
First off, with this Shielding Lotion, a little goes a long way. I loved how it totally absorbed and I was left with a silky feeling. Most importantly it is not greasy at all! I could immediately pick up a glass or play with the computer after an application.
The first time I used it I actually tried it on my body too but repeated applications on the palms from applying all over the body left a built up feeling that made me wash my palms.
After two weeks of using the Shielding Lotion throughout the day I couldn’t handle using it any longer as the only lotion for my hands. It just didn’t seem to be doing anything for me. My hands were visibly dry and uncomfortable and using the lotion was providing no relief. The first use of my usual lotion provided immediate relief although I was back to waiting until the greasy feeling left before I could do anything.
The male perspective: My husband is a teacher and has chalk in his hands all day. This dries his palms out terribly and he is forever bogging them down with Vaseline Lotion. I didn’t expect to hear back from him so soon but the first time he used it he responded with a surprised tone about the lack of odor and that there was no sticky slimy feeling. He didn’t have to wait for it to absorb to do something else. “I don’t feel like there is anything on my hands!” But like me the excitement waned with continued use. He felt like he had to constantly apply the product which is not productive or always possible when working.
Over the last few weeks we have both been using it in conjunction with our usual hand lotions which is probably not how it was intended to be used. For us, the Skin MD Natural Shielding Lotion was good for those times when we needed quick relief so we could get moving and use our hands again. But as a complete product by itself we both did not care for it.
* Visit Skin MD Natural for more info on Shielding Lotion